Register in Utrecht Region

Staying for longer than four months

Everyone who lives in the Netherlands for longer than four months needs to register with the relevant municipality. If you want to stay in the Netherlands for more than four months in the next half year, you need to make an appointment for your registration with the municipality within five days of your arrival. If you have a partner and/or child(ren) who also need to be registered, they must come with you to the appointment.

How to register
If you plan to live in Utrecht or Amersfoort, you can register through the International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region. Click the link below to obtain information about the registration process and make an appointment. If you are moving to another city or town in Utrecht Region, contact the municipality you are going to live in to make an appointment.


Staying for four months or less

If you are staying in the Netherlands for less than four months, you are not required to officially register as a resident. However, if you plan to work, study or access services like healthcare, you require a citizen service number (BSN). You receive your BSN when you register for a short stay in the Netherlands and are entered in the Registry for Non-Residents (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNI). Please note: if you will be staying longer than four months but do not yet meet the requirements to register at your municipality, it is not possible to register in the RNI temporarily to obtain a BSN.

How to register
You can register for short stay in 19 municipalities in the Netherlands and can choose with which municipality you want to register. If you want to register with the Municipality of Utrecht, you need to make an appointment. At the time of registration, you will be provided with a BSN.

Register in Utrecht

Report your move

When you are moving and changing address, you must inform the authorities. If you are moving to an address that is located within another municipality, you will need to inform the municipality that you are going to live in about your move. If you are moving to a different address in Utrecht, you need to report this to the city of Utrecht. Click the link below for more information and make an appointment.

More info


When leaving the Netherlands, you must deregister with your municipality. This is important as the municipality needs to remove your personal details from the Personal Records Database (BRP) and inform other government authorities of your departure. If your partner and/or child(ren) leave the Netherlands, they also have to deregister. When moving abroad after living in Utrecht, you must inform the municipality of Utrecht. If you live in another city or town, inform your local municipality of your departure.