Register as a new student

If you are an international student and studying in Utrecht Region, you need to arrange some formalities such as the municipal registration. In some cases you'll need to register with the municipality where you'll live. On this webpage, we will provide you with some important information about this registration process. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region (IWCUR). They are happy to help you out. 


When do you need to register?
If you will be living in the Netherlands longer than four months, you have to register with the municipality where you'll live. You need to make an appointment for your registration with the municipality within five days of your arrival. Upon registration you will receive your citizen service number (BSN).

If you will stay in the Netherlands for less than four months, you are not obliged to officially register as a resident. However, if you want to work or access certain services, you will require a citizen service number (BSN) which you can receive if you register for a short stay. Find more information here.

Where do you register?
If you (are going to) live in the city of Utrecht, you need to register with Civil Affairs at the International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region. Find more information on how to make an appointment below. If you live in a different municipality in Utrecht Region, please contact your municipality to find out how you can register.

As part of the COVID-19 measures, some people have to self-quarantine after their arrival in the Netherlands. Do the Quarantine Travelcheck COVID-19 to see which rules apply to your particular case. If you need to quarantine, you should make an appointment to visit the municipality within five days after the self-quarantine.

Rental contract
Please note: you must have a valid rental contract in order to register. This means that the start date of your contract must be before or on the date of your appointment. Does your rental contract not start within five days after your arrival?

  • If you are already living in your new home while your contract has not started yet, you need to bring a form that states that your proprietor or a co-occupant gives you permission to live there. You can find this form here.
  • ​If you are not yet living in your new home, you need to wait and register as soon as possible once you move or your contract starts.

Make an appointment

Click the button below to make an appointment to register with the city of Utrecht. Please note: this registration form is in Dutch. Find the instructions in English and what to bring to the appointment below. 

Make an appointment




  1. Choose a product: select ‘Burgerzaken’ and choose 'Verhuizen vanuit buitenland'. Indicate the number of persons.
  2. Choose location: select ‘Publiekszaken’.
  3. Choose a date and time: to have your appointment.
  4. Your details: provide your personal details: first name, last name, date of birth and email address and confirmation of email address.
  5. Submit: agree with the privacy policy, submit your application and wait for the confirmation email.




What to bring

  • A valid passport or ID card which you can use for traveling abroad.
  • A valid contract of purchase or lease of your home, or your proprietor’s permission; ask your proprietor to complete this form.
  • If applicable, a proof of legal residence in the Netherlands (residence permit, provisional residence permit (MVV) or a proof of application for such a permit).
  • If you come from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius, you need to bring a proof of deregistration.



Do you have questions about the registration process or about other aspects of living and studying in Utrecht Region? Feel free to reach out to the International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region. We are happy to help! Send us an email or make an appointment with our volunteers to get your questions answered.

Make an appointment