In Utrecht or Amersfoort

If you plan to reside in Utrecht or Amersfoort for at least four months, you must register with the municipality at the International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region. You have to make an appointment for your registration within five days of your arrival. If you have a partner and/or child(ren) who also need to be registered, they must come with you to the appointment. If you have never lived in the Netherlands before, your registration counts as a ‘first registration’ with the municipality. If you have lived in the Netherlands before, you must re-register with the municipality. Please note that if you moved abroad before 1 October 1994, you still need to register as if it is the first time. If you have questions, please contact the International Welcome Centre.

Contact us

Make an appointment

When making an appointment to register in Utrecht or Amersfoort, you will be forwarded to the appointment tool of the city of Utrecht. This registration form is in Dutch. Find instructions in English and what to bring to the appointment below. Please note: there are two different appointment links. Make sure to use the one that applies to your situation.

Select an appointment link




  1. Choose a product: in case you have a recognised sponsor, the option ‘International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region (alleen door erkent referent)’ is already selected. If you used the other link, choose ‘Burgerzaken’ and select ‘Verhuizing vanuit buitenland (immigration)’. In both cases indicate how many people are coming to the appointment.
  2. Choose location: select ‘Publiekszaken’.
  3. Your details: provide your personal details in this order: first name, last name, date of birth and email address (twice to confirm).
  4. Submit: agree with the privacy policy, submit your application by clicking the ‘maak afspraak’ button and wait for the confirmation email.




What to bring

  1. A valid passport or ID card for each person to be registered.
  2. Original documents for yourself and your children, such as birth certificates, a marriage certificate or deed of divorce.
  3. A rental or purchase contract for your home or your landlord’s permission, for which you need to complete the form 'verklaring bewoning adres' (pdf in Dutch). Please note, you cannot be registered earlier than the start date of your rental or purchase contract.
  4. Only English, German and French deeds will be accepted without translation by a sworn translator. Foreign documents must comply with the rules for legalisation. These rules depend on the country where the documents were issued.
  5. A proof of deregistration when coming from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius.


How to get there

Find the visiting address in the link below. When you arrive at the Stadskantoor, get a ticket at one of the displays on the ground floor. On the ticket, you will find a letter and a number. The letter indicates where you have to go - see the red letters on the different floors. The number is your appointment number. You will be called for or your ticket number will be shown on the TV screen when it is your turn.

Visiting address

After your appointment

Your registration will be listed in the Personal Records Database (BRP) within four weeks. Are you also applying for a residence permit? Your registration becomes definitive if/when the municipality is informed by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, IND) that you are allowed to live in the Netherlands.