Residence permit & visa

If you want to live and work in the Netherlands, you normally require a work and/or residence permit. Citizens of EU and EEA countries or Switzerland, however, are exempt from this requirement and do not require a visa for the Netherlands.

Less than 90 days

If you intend to work in the Netherlands for less than 90 days, a work permit is required. Your employer will apply for this at the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). Learn more about work permits on the website of the Dutch government.

More than 90 days

If you wish to work and live in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, a residence permit is required. You or your employer can apply at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). Learn more about the conditions for this permit and the application procedure on the website of the IND. Please note that in some situations you first need to have a provisional residence permit (mvv) to be able to enter the Netherlands prior to applying for a residence permit. You can collect your residence permit from the IND office at the International Welcome Centre in Utrecht. Due to the current situation with the coronavirus, it is required to make an appointment. Learn more about our revised services and make an appointment.

Make an appointment

What does IND do?

The Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) assesses all applications from foreign nationals who want to live in the Netherlands or become Dutch citizens. The IND assesses residence applications for those who want to work, study or bring their family. In addition, the IND handles naturalisation applications for those who wish to become a Dutch citizen. Check the IND website to learn more about its services.

Read more

Need help?

Do you have any questions about permits and visas for the Netherlands?
Please send an email to or call +31 (0)30 286 0000. You can also contact the IND directly.