Staying four months or longer

Everyone who lives in the Netherlands for longer than four months needs to register at the municipality they are going to live in. If you want to live in the Netherlands for more than four months in the next half year, you need to make an appointment for your registration with the municipality within five days after your arrival. If you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered, they need to come with you to the appointment.

How to register
If you are going to live in Utrecht, you can register through the International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region. Click the link below to get more information about registering with the municipality of Utrecht.

Register in Utrecht

If you are moving to another city or town in the Utrecht Region, contact your local municipality to make an appointment.

Staying for four months or less

If you are staying in the Netherlands for less than four months, you are not required to officially register as a resident. However, if you plan to work, study or access services like healthcare, you will require a citizen service number (BSN). You will receive your BSN when you register for a short stay in the Netherlands and are entered in the Registry for Non-Residents (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNI).

How to register
You can register for short stay in 19 municipalities in the Netherlands. You can choose with which municipality you want to register. If you want to register at the municipality of Utrecht, you need to make an appointment. At registration you will be provided with a BSN.

Register in Utrecht


When leaving the Netherlands, you need to deregister at your municipality. This is important as the municipality will need to remove your personal details from the Personal Records Database (BRP) and inform other government authorities of your departure. If your partner and/ or child(ren) leave the Netherlands, they must also deregister. If you are moving abroad after living in Utrecht, you must inform the municipality of Utrecht. If you live in another city or town, contact your local municipality to inform them of your departure.